Monday 24 November 2014

Stephanie Okereke-LinusActress reacts to brother’s rape allegations

Nollywood actress, Stephanie Okereke-Linus, has reacted to the recent news of her brother’s arrest for rape related offences, pleading with the media to stop using her name to ‘sensationalise’ their reports.  
The actress’ brother, Prince Daniel Okereke, was recently arrested for allegedly raping a University of Lagos undergraduate, Arionla. Arionla told police that Daniel Okereke had lured her to his Mende residence and raped her repeatedly.  
In a statement released to the media, the Imo State born actress reveals that she is devastated and distraught to hear about her brother’s allegation and also condemns the act, saying she is 100% against rape.
Indeed, the irony is not lost on me. I have spent my lifelong career advocating and living my conviction that women around the world should be able to live free of violence, sexual harassment or any form of abuse against their persons… So, again, it is indeed heart breaking for me to receive and deal with news alleging a family member of mine is an alleged perpetrator of sexual violence against a woman. I am devastated,” Stephanie says in the statement.
She also pleads with the media to stop mentioning her name in reference to the case, stating that an alleged transgression of her brother, is not hers.
For Nigerian press and blogs; I call on you to please report this case in an ethical manner. I am a married woman living my life. The alleged transgression of my relative does not make it mine… Some members of the press and blogs have turned me into the accused; using my name for sensational headlines and putting my images, exclusively, in their stories. This is a form of Victimization of me as a woman; it is unethical and extremely hurtful. I am not the alleged accused. I therefore please ask all Bloggers and the media who have placed my pictures and name to this story to refrain from further using me to sensationalise this story,” part of the statement reads.
                                            Prince who is stephanie brother

No comments:

Post a Comment